Beetroot or beet is very powerful vegetable used for the treatment of many different health problems. The Romans were the first to cultivate beets and then the Greeks. In ancient times primarily it was used for the treatment of high fever.
Beetroot contains a lot of nutrients such as nitrites, betaine, sodium, flavonoids, calcium, chlorine, v iodine, zinc, magnesium and vitamins A, B6, C. This vegetable it doesn’t contain fats and it is a very powerful antioxidant. Other compounds of this veggie are glycine, lutein, zeaxanthin, carotenoids, potassium and folic acid.
Beetroot contains chlorine, so it can reduce allergy symptoms. Also it keeps the health of the gallbladder, lymphs and kidneys.
This vegetable is very healthy and has very beneficial properties for the health. It can cure sleep problems, diabetes, hypertension, weak immunity, atherosclerosis and anemia.
You can consume the root which has sweet taste and the leaves which have bitter taste.
The beneficial properties of the beetroot
- Cures anemia and iron deficiency – This vegetable can treat iron deficiency and anemia because it contains iron. It creates red blood cells.
- Improves the blood flow – Beets improve the blood flow in the brain due to the nitrates that it contains. The change to nitric oxide stimulates the blood flow.
- Lowers the blood pressure – Beet contains nitrates and it lowers the blood pressure because creates higher amounts of nitric oxide in the blood.
- Better mental health and mood – The two compounds of the beets betaine and tryptophan improve the mental health. Tryptophan sooths the mind and betaine can cure depression.
- Detoxification of the liver – Beets keep the health of the liver due to the betaine.
- Treatment and prevention of cancer – The juice from beetroots keeps the health of the cells. The beet gives the cells betacyanin which is red pigment. It kills tumors and cancer cells.
- No birth defects – Beets contain folic acid and high amounts of folate, so pregnant women have to consume the beets moderately.
- Healthy muscles – The beet juice improves the strength of the muscles. According to a study from the Northumbria University, the juice from the beets speeds up the recovery process of the muscles and lowers muscle soreness.
- Eliminates inflammation – Beets are powerful antioxidants and they keep the health of the immune system and eliminate inflammations.
- Treats constipation – The beet juice stimulates the digestion and boosts the metabolism.
- PMS and menopause – Beets contain iron which stimulates the production of red blood cells, so the beet juice is great for treating menopause and PMS symptoms.
- Improves the skin condition – Beets contain folate which slows down the process of aging. It keeps the skin healthy and smooth with no acne. Also it shows great results for eliminating acne, wrinkles and blemishes.
- Improves the health of the brain and prevents from dementia – Beet juice contains nitrates which give more stamina and improve the health of the brain increasing the ability of the brain to fight dementia by 16 %.
Side effects of the beetroot juice
The consumption of the beetroots needs to be moderated because this vegetable contains oxalates which in high amounts can prevent the absorption of the calcium. This can cause the formation of stones in the kidneys.
The color of the stool may become dark due to the pigments of the beet.
Also consuming too much beetroot can change the color of the urine, making it pink, but this is normal.
Source and imagesource: organichealthuniverse.com